Luther Memorial Church was originally founded in 1907 as a mission congregation by and for Lutheran students at the University of Wisconsin who wanted to worship in English, since no Lutheran congregations in the area offered this. For a time and as their mission grew, the students met around campus in bible study groups. By 1923 the congregation had moved into a newly built Gothic Revival building at 1021 University Avenue, where it remains today. Although now an intergenerational congregation with members living within a 20-mile radius, Luther Memorial continues its rich legacy of classic western liturgy and music, its abiding connection to the university and a long tradition of service toward its neighbors in need.
> Read a brief history of Luther Memorial Church, written by LM member Walt Miner (ed. Pastor Brad Pohlman).